Loans for Regeneration, Businesses and Jobs

18 March 2016

Picture of One Trinity Green South Tyneside

European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI) has an EU-wide budget of €315 billion and will fund strategic national level projects.

The EFSI is one pillar of the EU Commission Investment Plan for Europe, and aims to unlock €315 billion to kick start investment, jobs and growth into Europe’s economy.   The UK Chancellor announced on 15th July 2015, that alongside the EIB the UK government will make £6 billion of UK guarantees available to co-finance EFSI infrastructure projects in the UK; and that the UK has stepped up its bilateral engagement with EIB, and will shortly sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the EIB to ensure that we are well placed to maximize the benefits of the EFSI and wider EIB financing opportunities for the UK.

ESFI will provide loans or loan guarantees (not grants) for projects in areas such as: infrastructure, education, research, innovation, renewable energy and energy efficiency. It will also focus on SMEs (<250 employees) and mid-cap companies (250–3,000 employees). The EFSI will fund projects that promote job-creation, long-term growth and competitiveness.  The fund also sets up a European Investment Advisory Hub (EIAH) and regional and national investment platforms to provide advisory support to projects and act as a match-making service between the public sector and private investors, irrespective of whether or not they benefit from actual EFSI support.

The bulk (75%) of EFSI financing is likely to focus on large-scale (>€50 million) national projects, which will nevertheless have local authority relevance. The remaining 25% of the fund will be used to provide smaller loans (venture capital) and guarantees to SMEs and other companies. Such loans will be processed and delivered via banks in each Member State.  The Government has submitted to the EC a list of UK strategic investment projects as an indication of the type of large-scale projects that could benefit from the fund. These include major energy, broadband, and environmental projects. Other projects not on the national list can also apply, such as those for new school buildings, regional transport projects etc.

Links & Key Contacts:

http://ec.europa.eu/priorities/jobs-growth-investment/plan/efsi/index_en...

Employment and Social Innovation Programme (EaSI) has an EU-wide budget of €920 million.

The EaSI programme aims to promote a high level of quality and sustainable employment, guaranteeing adequate and decent social protection, combating social exclusion and poverty and improving working conditions.

EaSI is an umbrella programme which replaces the former PROGRESS, EURES and Progress Microfinance programme. EaSI financing can be combined with support from ESF.

EaSI provides loans/guarantees to support:

access to micro-finance and social entrepreneurship
the modernisation of employment and social policies (PROGRESS) with a focus on fighting youth unemployment, social protection and inclusion and the reduction and prevention of poverty and working conditions
job mobility (EURES)

Links & Key Contacts:

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=1081

Do you think the North East needs its own voice in the EU exit negotiations?

Latest Tweets

Borders are deceptive, difficult and dangerous places. Why? @PaulBrannenNE explains in his latest column for… https://t.co/iQXkgAO1Io 17 hours 24 min ago
Watch @Jude_KD's full speach from yesterday's hearing in the @EP_Petitions committee, where she called for a guaran… https://t.co/B69huxa58w 17 hours 35 min ago
RT @Jude_KD: My thoughts after the @ep_petitions debate yesterday on right to vote for @BritishinEurope on any #PeoplesVote: 'If there's a… 19 hours 17 min ago
RT @Classthinktank: 'Clock is Ticking to sort out #Brexit Shambles' - new blog by Jude Kirton-Darling MEP @Jude_KD https://t.co/rrSLt5Eqfl 19 hours 54 min ago
RT @PaulBrannenNE: Hadrian's Wall, the bloody history of the English-Scottish border, the Iron Curtain, all once danger zones & now Brexit… 19 hours 54 min ago

Sign up to our Newsletter